A software developer and project manager who has a proven track record of managing, designing, testing, and implementing, bespoke solutions for a diverse range of clients including FTSE 100 defence and household name publishing companies.
June 2009 to August 2014
Software Developer and Release Manager
Public-I, Hove, East Sussex
Public-I is an online development company specializing in e-democracy, webcasting and the public sector. It’s core products CitizenScape and Connect use HTML fragments known as ‘widgets’ to enable structured amalgamation of many disparate data sources into a single browser screen. Since joining the company I have been responsible for:
- Looking after their core product Citizenscape / Sunshine / Connect /Connect plus.
- Specifying, implementing, and maintaining the company’s design, testing, and staged release processes and producing release and deployment notes.
- Working in an agile environment and ensuring good communication throughout.
- Mentoring younger members of the team to bring them up to scratch.
- Design, architecture and development of the admin interface for the system.
- Integrating an ‘Oauth’ driven authentication/ authorisation based system.
- Writing a ‘bouncer script’ to allow cross site authentication / authorisation.
- Integrating user roles with login, profiles and identity.
- Looking after and allowing transparent access to user data and editing of profiles.
- Writing data driven Application Programming Interfaces (APIs) both in XML and in JSON.
- Writing widgets that use various APIs in interesting ways to best show user information.
- Writing users profiles to give them all of their stored information in an editable way to give a good user experience.
- Statistics work including logging statistics, showing statistics transparently and showing IP based Geodata.
- Working with Twitters Phirehose project to get a really cool search tool that gives results in an ongoing stream.
October 2000 to February 2009
Senior Software Engineer
Semantico Ltd, 21-23 Dyke Road, Brighton BN1 3FE
Working as a member of a cutting edge online reference development company, my clients included: Oxford University Press, Cambridge University Press, Blackwell, Taylor & Francis Palgrave Macmillan. I was responsible for:
- Planning, development, deployment, maintenance and support of large-scale on- and off-line publishing solutions for all of Semanticos clients.
- Development and maintenance of the company's core products: SAMS (access management tool) and SIPP (publishing platform).
- Leadership and support of development teams in the production of complex solutions.
- Maintenance of a high level of quality assurance (QA) and testing, using the following methods:
- Automated tests
- Test driven development
- Development of specification-based tests
- Peer review
- Jira (issue tracking, QA and project management tool)
- 'Use Case' studies
July 2000 to October 2000
HerculeeZ Plc, Old Steine, Brighton
Development, quality assurance, documentation and testing within a small internet start up company
Sept. 1997 to July 2000
Racal Defence Electronics Limited (RDE) Manor Royal, Crawley
Conducting engineering investigations and production of requirement, design and test specifications within the radar defence software support team.
Nov.1995 to August 1997
Graduate Software Engineer
Thomson Training and Simulation Limited (TTSL) Gatwick Rd, Crawley